donderdag 21 april 2016

Update on phase 3

Quick update:

I got a reply to my github pull request. Sadly it was not what I had hoped for. The package manager replied that they want to give users full control of their compiler optimizations and not force anything on them.

 As there is theoretically no downside to applying atleast a base level of optimization, this argument seems a little bit strange to me.

The way I would do it is give the user a base level of optimization, so that users that have no knowledge of compiler optimizations get the benefit in the significant speedup without having to do anything. Advanced users could then opt-out of the optimization if they want to. I realize that this is more work for advanced users. However I think the situation where the user opts out of optimizations would come up very rarely. Whereas the situation where the user should have applied some degree of optimization, but did not because the user didn't know he should have, is more prevalent.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten